- Hormonal changes: Hormonal fluctuations, such as during puberty, can result in an increase in skin thickness and excessive oil production, which can contribute to skin texture issues.
- Ageing: the dilation of pores in older people is a natural part of the aging process and is often a result of a combination of factors: sun exposure, hormonal changes, dehydration and collagen loss.
- Genetics: Some individuals are genetically predisposed to thicker skin and skin texture concerns, such as blackheads, whiteheads, and acne.
- Poor diet: A diet that is high in sugar and processed foods can contribute to skin texture issues.
- Stress: Stress can cause an increase in oil production and result in skin texture concerns.
- Environmental factors: Exposure to sun, smoke and air pollution, can cause skin texture issues.
- Improper skin care regimen: Using greasy, occlusive, skin care products can result in skin texture issues.
- Some trauma or aesthetic procedures: Trauma or procedures can cause the skin to thicken and can result in skin marks and skin texture issues.
- Rough and bumpy skin: This is often caused by dead skin cells that have accumulated on the surface of the skin. Over time, these cells can cause the skin to feel rough, dry and bumpy to the touch.
- Blackheads and whiteheads: Blackheads and whiteheads occur when hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Blackheads are open comedones that appear as dark or black spots, while whiteheads are closed comedones that appear as small white bumps.
- Dull skin with greyish appearance: This is often caused by a buildup of dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, which can dull the skin's natural glow.
- Uneven skin texture: This can occur when different areas of the skin have different levels of hydration, oil production or skin thickness, resulting in an uneven texture.
Impact on the skin
- Rough and bumpy skin texture: This can lead to a dull and lackluster appearance, making the skin look older and less vibrant.
- Appearance of blackheads and whiteheads: These can give the skin an uneven and blemished appearance, making it difficult to achieve a clear and radiant complexion.
- Dull skin with greyish appearance: This can make the skin look tired and lacklustre, making it difficult to achieve a youthful and healthy complexion.
- Visible marks
- Visible dilated pores
- Difficulty achieving a clear and radiant complexion: Rough and bumpy skin texture, combined with the appearance of blackheads and whiteheads, can make it difficult to achieve a clear and radiant complexion, leading to decreased confidence and self-esteem.